Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Commencements Galore

For the last two weekends, I have been catching various video streams, Facebook statuses, tweets, and pictures of my friends, near and far, graduating from college. I find it so wonderful seeing people cross over from students to alumni amongst their loved ones and dear friends. I have seen  this as a precursor to the events that are to come this weekend when I got to join the ranks of the Class of 2012.

One (or two) commencement that really go to me was the Emerson College graduate commencement. I watched it for the heck of it yesterday (yes, they graduated on a Monday.) Though I wasn't filled with pride to see the graduates because I didn't know who they were, I really liked the offical commencement speeches from the designated speaker, student speaker, and president of the university (who is black, by the way :P). I fell in love with the school all over again. Dr. Pelton's speech almost made me cry. He mentioned something about communication, and I was sent into reflection of my personal journey.

I learned two summers ago that one of my spiritual gifts is creative communication. I have a creative way of sharing things and telling stories to people. After that moment, I got into crafts, a little dabble here and there. Now I have a special craft box with all of my happy supplies, including paints, glues, ribbons, and wooden letters. Craft time for me is a very happy time for me. I crank up my music, break out my materials and go to town. I just let my creative juices flow.

I may not be the best verbal communicator, but in other ways I thrive, and I have seen the fruits of sharing my gift with others. When Dr. Pelton mentioned how the graduates were communicators, I felt how true the statement was. Emerson College produces learned communicators in their field of choice. They are artsy people, storytellers, overlookers of those stories, reaching the masses with their craft. That is exactly what I aspire when I start in the fall. I want to become a learned communicator, willing to reach the masses with my story, or rather, bring information and inspiration about hair and fashion. Then I can become a fellow change agent in the great big world.

One last note: Bobbi Brown was honored by her alma mater (Emerson College!) and was awarded an honorary doctorate. I also discovered that she is on one of the boards at Emerson. Can you say possible connection? 

No comments:

Post a Comment