Monday, July 9, 2012

Crossing The Summer Bridge

I love summer. Tis a wonderful time of vacation, relaxation, and enjoying the sun, food, and loved ones. However, I also like to think of summer break as a bridge to cross between school years. I never took summer school classes while in college, so I was free to do different things. And I did! I traveled for three of my summers and stayed home for one. I just really really like school and staying busy! That being said, this is how my cross has been so far.

The sheer chaos and grandeur of graduating and receiving my Bachelor's degree has come and gone, and I have been spending my days in Houston, just like I was desperately waiting for while I was in Lubbock. However, something is missing from my dream stay at home: employment. As the weeks have passed (about six so far), I watched my plans start to slowly unravel and circumstances change.

Here is what I had in mind: I would graduate from Tech, come back and get a job, start working over the summer, and midway at some point, I would visit Boston and secure my apartment. After that, I would continue to prepare for my big move (book a one-way flight, sort through what I want to bring with me and have sent up yonder, finally purchase a new suitcase) and be on my merry way come August. This is what has happened: I got home and began my job hunt, only to realize not so many places have applications available on hand, like I originally thought, and had to play the waiting game to hear back from different places. I also realized that I would need to follow-up with prospective jobs so they know that I want to work there.

The main lesson here: I needed to line up a job before I even left Lubbock, just like I had been advised, that way I would have gone to work and get to saving. Because of my delay, some places never called or even rejected me. I have found myself staying at home day after day, some days sleeping it away because I have found myself going a little crazy. I even had a breakdown one night because I was having a really bad day. The realization that my stubbornness and lack of pro-activity has landed me here was very heavy on me, leaving me to spend my days in great regret.

What pulled me out of my slump was talking to friends. I have no friends that live immediately close to me, so I've been texting away, talking on the phone, and even an little video chatting. The more I talked, the more I was pointed to God in one way or another. I've had some moments when I had to be real with God and ask for a job. I am a firm believer that He provides very well, but I wasn't doing my part. I wasn't applying for different jobs, following up, and applying some more. My slump was really getting to me when I talked to a friend who said something to snap me out. I had to realize (and remember) why I want a job in the first place. It's more than just keeping myself busy and staying away from home. I want a job so I can get to Boston. Boston and Emerson College is my ultimate goal.

I've been spending some more time with God, little by little, and He's been revealing some things to me. I'm now reassured that He will do His part as long as I do mine and I don't give up. Right now, my prayer is that He provides me with a means to get to Boston so I can become a great communicator. Instead of being discouraged by my current circumstances, I am encouraged by my hope in God to honor my effort.

I am hoping to start working soon so crossing the second half of this bridge will become a little easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment