Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Last Day in the Bayou City

After learning some hard lessons and crying out to God, I am on my way to Boston!!!!!

Realistically, getting a job a month before leaving the city is not ideal. Barely working part-time is even worse, but that is what I did. I was hired as a hostess at an organic grille and bar. Mind you, I have never hosted a day in my life beforehand, but I have worked with people, and I know what it's like to be to first person you see. I would like to say that working was a divine blessing. I finally got to spend some time out of the house, and I actually bonded with my co-workers. I love being a hostess, to be honest. My feet hurt from standing so much, but I got to meet different people and learn how to kinda read them.

Something in me kept from freaking out when different obstacles came up. I tend to stay calm when plans start to fall apart. Though I did not get to earn everything I wanted over the entire course of the summer, I was able to see God working through the situation and through my own mishaps. When God has a plan for you, He won't let anything get in the way of it come to pass, including ourselves. Or, I should say, He'll never take that purpose away from you, know matter how sidetracked you get. Once you realized His purpose, things just go a whole lot smoother.

Now that reality is setting in, I am becoming sad. I will miss my hometown, my family, and my friends. I'll be a good 1800 miles away from home, but I know that this will be the start of a brand new journey. I am making a fresh start. I was talking to one of my best friends recently, and I described Emerson as my second undergrad. And it shall be my second undergrad, but with the next level of learning. For the last few years, I had felt that I was smart just to be smart. I had no clear path to follow with my knowledge. I was discouraged from learning fully, and I was wasting time running away from writing. When I stopped running, learning became fun again.

I received an email from one of my professors. We'll get to argue about our grammar pet peeves. I cannot describe how excited I am for this class and for the other classes in my degree plan.

But for the next day, I shall enjoy being in Houston among loved ones. Then, I will start my transition.

Last note: I'm flying Southwest. They are my favorite airline! Bags fly free! My next post shall be from the east coast.....

Drika the writer

No comments:

Post a Comment