Monday, July 1, 2013

BET Awards 2013

After a few years of doing other things in my life, I was finally able to watch the BET Awards again live in real time. The last year I saw it live was 2009, when BET had only a good four days to scramble together an adjusted program because Michael Jackson has passed away. Since that summer, I was doing a mission trip in Memphis in 2010, I was in France in 2011, and I just couldn't watch at home last summer. After seeing who was going to perform and who the host was, I was really looking forward to watching. As a teen, I used to watch every year as the awards show further developed and because THE awards show to watch for great black star power. In latter years, however, I've noticed a decline in the luster of the show, and it hasn't ever broken 15 years. But I digress. I shall share some of my favorite moments and what I hope would happen in preparation in future.

I really enjoyed Robin Thicke's performance featuring Pharrell and T.I. "Blurred Lines." It had a sexiness to it, and it never hurts to see artists I have a great respect for. I may not be a huge fan of Thicke, but he is one soulful guy, and I'm glad he was able to perform his big hit right now, made popular by Beats by Dre. Kendrick Lamar's performance was interesting, but I didn't pay too much mind until Erykah Badu appeared on the stage. Now, she doesn't provide vocals on the recorded track, but it was awesome having her bring a little more soul to the live performance. 

My absolute favorite performance was the tribute to Charlie Wilson. Like seriously. The awards show had become a cookout in the middle of the summer. How fitting. It's the end of June/beginning of July, and we were hearing some great live music, and I mean some feel-good music. Something young people can hear and dance around. What set Uncle Charlie apart from other Lifetime Achievement award recipients is the fact that he came back to the music scene and worked with the new generation of artists out. So not only do my peers know who he is, but our parents and grandparents maybe. That's incredible. He was able to perform hits from his days with Gap Band AND his music with Snoop Dogg and Pharrell and Justin Timberlake. Like what? People were not only on their feet, but singing, grooving, dancing, smiling, and that was just the people there. I was dancing and jumping around in my living room grooving to the music. Major kudos for BET for capturing that moment. This is what BET has been been known for: chronicling black star power in ways no other network/organization can do.

After seeing Mrs. Tamela Mann perform at Celebration of Gospel, I knew she had to sing again at BET Awards. No question about it. She let God sing through her, and you can't help but feel your spirit stirring when you hear her voice and her style of singing. Mind you, she is 47 years old, and she sounds better than some of these 30-something and 40-something singers that have been singing the same length of time (about 20 years). I'll tell you what, God makes known some of His chosen people through their gifts. There was a moment when the chorus was cut short and went straight to the bridge, and you can tell Tamela was caught off guard. She had sang through in past performances (if you ever heard "Take Me To the King" or seen the performances, then you know what I mean), so I was a little upset that whoever had set up the song that way. Nonetheless, she kept going and ab libbed until she got to a more comfortable spot in the song. Tamela was phenomenal, and her dress was fierce. For once, I didn't look to see if most people were going to be sitting down because it was a gospel song.

An additional portion of the awards that I liked was the opportunity that filmmakers took to announce future movies. Two programs will be on BET this week alone: Being Mary Jane, a BET original film starring Gabrielle Union, and a documentary titled Imagine a Future that will premiere on Tuesday and Friday, respectively. Also, the cast of The Best Man is reuniting for The Best Man Holiday, set to be released for the 2013 holiday season (!!!). An indie film is going to released later this month, Friutvale Station, and Think Like A Man Too will be released next year (they've been filming in Vegas this past spring). Add The Butler later this summer into the mix, and you have some black films to look forward to see. Not to see that these films are specifically aimed towards black audiences, but seeing black ensembles perform in a work of great depth is a rarity in this age...still

I was a little disappointed by Chris Tucker being so awkward. For wonderfully awkward, they could have just had Kevin Hart back. Some of the segways were a little off, so I'm not sure if they ran that writing by anyone. The show itself did indeed run smoothly, so that's good. Not to put down Nicki Minaj, but since I don't like her very much, it doesn't matter. Her award could have been presented earlier. This is her fourth straight best female hip hop award, and it's by default (yawn). I would have loved to see Kerry Washington receive her best actress award because she deserved it, with her crazy successful show Scandal and Django Unchained. 

There was also this island music set that they decided to do, and it was pretty awesome. I love being able to see how Africans are in the arts far beyond our American borders with reggae music, for starters. I wish we knew that was coming. I believe BET took to the "anything can happen" theme seriously, and it left people a little confused. A little lackluster in my opinion. I would have love that set to have been longer with a few more artists featured.

Overall, this was the best show in a while. I have thoughts of how it should be better next year, but it consists of featuring only people I know or featuring more categories other than music, because....black stars are doing way more than just music. They're lighting up our screens and trying to change the world one little bit at a time. Watching the awards literally showed me why I'm here in Boston doing what I'm doing, pursing publishing. I want to create something for my people with great quality and substance, something that can read and shared with friends and offering content that people can take and really think about but enjoy. I have big dreams and a vision in my head, and it is my hope and prayer that I can bring it into fruition.

That's my view and spiel on the BET Awards 2013. Until the next major awards show, I will hang up my critiquing hat.

Drika

No comments:

Post a Comment